Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Response to phishing e-mails

From: Roger A Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 18:37:31 +0000

We typically just respond with our auto reply, unless we need specific information.  Here's a copy.

Thanks for contacting the Northwestern University Information Security team.  This reply confirms our receipt of your
message and provides information on our team's policies and procedures.

We appreciate your personal commitment towards keeping the Northwestern network secure.  If you are reporting a
suspicious email please note that we are particularly interested in messages trying to obtain credentials for
university services.

The University does prevent most fraudulent or unsolicited bulk messages from reaching our network, but there will
always be some that get through.  You can manage these through your personal email client.  Help is available by
sending a message to consultant () northwestern edu.

Do not click on any links or submit personal information in response to any suspicious messages.  If you did submit
personal information please change your NetID password at once and notify us immediately, otherwise simply delete the
message.  We will attempt to get the fraudulent site disabled and block access from Northwestern's network.

You may not receive any further replies about the status of this incident due to privacy and legal restrictions, but be
assured that we investigate and take appropriate action on any and all information sent to this address.

If you have any further information to share with us about this incident, please reply to this email to ensure that
your correspondence with us is properly tracked.

Additional information about spam:

"From:" email addresses are easily and commonly forged and are not an appropriate way to determine where a spam message
originated.  If a spam email's only association to Northwestern University is the presence of northwestern.edu in the
email address with no accompanying Northwestern University IP address in the email headers, we have had no part in its
origination and can take no mitigating action.

With this in mind, we require the full email headers to investigate any spam complaint.  Please verify that the email
originated on our network by finding the original IP from the email headers and doing a whois lookup on that IP address
(more information can be found at whois.arin.net).

If you have trouble obtaining the email headers, please follow the below link for instructions on how to do so within
many common email applications:

<http://oit.nd.edu/email/fullheaders.shtml>

If you are reporting a bounce notification for a spam message that you did not send, your email address is likely being
forged in spam mails.
There is unfortunately nothing we can do to stop those bounces, and we suggest that you filter those messages in your
email client until they subside.

--
NUIT - Information Security (1 business day response time) Non-Emergency Phone: (847)467-6662 (8:30AM-5:00PM, Mon-Fri
                                    ask for Security)