Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Self-service password reset approaches

From: Nathan Zierfuss <nathan.zierfuss () ALASKA EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 10:59:52 -0900

We use two parts similar to what Ryan described. There is account claiming
and password resets. In claiming the individuals account exists but they
don't know the password. They vet themselves based on information they gave
the institution in the admissions process that are now part of their
student record. Currently this is used for password resets as well but we
are shifting to allowing users to set 3 security questions after the
vetting process. For resets they would now need their username and piece of
personal information, such as a birth date, and after verifying that
information they see 2 of there 3 questions they choose and provided
answers for. If they get them right they can reset their password. If they
fail they get one more opportunity, this time with the question previously
unused as one of the 2 presented. This is the last try. Success and failure
messages are sent to all email addresses on record for the individual. If
the individual does not have 3 security questions set they are forced back
to the vetting process used for account claiming. If an individual has
elected to place a FERPA directory hold on their student record for privacy
reasons, the account does not exist or they fail to vet the self-service
interface prints a generic helpdesk contact information page that is the
same for all those scenarios.

One condition with regard to the challenge/response questions is the
response can not be in the challenge. So "What color is your blue car?"
with the answer "blue" is not allowed for list selected questions or user
provided questions.

The helpdesks have no ability to set passwords for accounts. They can
administratively set challenge/responses for an account but the user must
use them to gain access to the self-service reset tool then select new
challenge/responses and reset their password.

Because the password they are trying to reset gets them access to their
institutional email account and distrust of any email addresses they give
us from other providers sending an email with a url or code to reset the
password was not a viable option for us.

Nathan