Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Self-service password reset approaches

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 08:56:50 -0600

We're not using Telesign, but it reminds me of a system we use here for authentication during telephone calls. When someone calls us and we need proof that the person is who he says he is (like wants to talk about confidential matters), we ask him to go to a certain Web page, login there, then read the one-time-use generated token. The telephone operator then enters this on a different Web page, and it indicates which netID generated that token. It's much more secure than asking a bunch of questions, and hoping that only the correct person can answer those questions correctly.