Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Google announces privacy changes, no opt out for users

From: Tim Doty <tdoty () MST EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 16:23:37 -0600

On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 09:11 -0600, Jesse Thompson wrote:
Right.  Google is being intentionally vague.

I'm not a lawyer, but my interpretation is that the new privacy policy
effectively allows Google to bypass the protections offered in the EDU
privacy policy for the core apps.  The only way around it is to disable
all of the non-core apps.  Again, I'm no lawyer.

so... today I got an email from google because we use Postini that looks
very like the one from google if you have gmail. It refers to the same
privacy policy, the one that says "we can do whatever we want with your
data". I'm no lawyer, but I'm concerned that this means they are in fact
considering *all* users, EDU or not, as being subjects of spying.

 From http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/preview/

"We may combine personal information from one service with information,
including personal information, from other Google services"

Take this in the light of google having access to all your email because
the institution uses Postini. I'm not liking where this is going.

I understand this to mean that all apps are now able to interchange
personal data, which means that the new consumer apps privacy policy
would effectively minimize or eliminate (in some cases) the protections
within our core apps privacy policy.

I think it is worth double checking that you still have a core apps
privacy policy, or that it won't change come March 1st. Yes, they state
it doesn't include services that have a separate privacy policy, but the
whole point is that they are combining them and they *were* separate but
are now not only unified in terms, but permit sharing of information
between them. (That last distinction is one of my personal gripes with
how google is doing this. They are pretending that unifying to a single
privacy policy requires allowing them to share your PII between all of
them.)

From http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/preview/

Our Privacy Policy applies to all of the services offered by Google
Inc. and its affiliates, including services offered on other sites
(such as our advertising services), but excludes services that have
separate privacy policies that do not incorporate this Privacy Policy.

The last phrase '...that do not incorporate this Privacy Policy'
indicates to me specific assurance is needed that your existing one
won't simply be merged in with this PII-should-be-free model.

Also from http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/preview/

For external processing

We provide personal information to our affiliates or other trusted
businesses or persons to process it for us, based on our instructions
and in compliance with our Privacy Policy and any other appropriate
confidentiality and security measures.

So they are saying they will provide PII to other businesses or persons
for them to process it on Google's behalf. Of course, Google is looking
out for you and those folks will have to protect your PII just as well
as Google did -- by only providing it in exchange for a service,
apparently.

I am no lawyer, but that looks pretty meaningless to me. I mean, they
promise not to just publish it on the web or put it up on an anonymous
FTP server -- after all they expect to receive some benefit for sharing
it.

You might also be interested how Google defines "sensitive personal
information" which is the term they use rather than PII.

From
http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/preview/faq/#toc-terms-sensitive-info

This is a particular category of personal information relating to
confidential medical facts, racial or ethnic origins, political or
religious beliefs or sexuality.

So medical facts, race/ethnicity, political/religious beliefs or
sexuality. But not, for example, financial/economic information. Or
personally identifying information.

Would searching for debt relief not be considered something they need to
protect? Not even necessary to invoke the 'business relationship' clause
for selling the geographic location and name of individuals performing
such searches?

Maybe I should take off my tin foil hat and quit hiding from the Sun,
but this new 'privacy' policy concerns me.

Tim Doty

Jesse