Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

WPA2/Enterprise startup/rollout headaches...

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:50:51 -0400

One of our summer projects is to bring WPA2/Enterprise to our wireless network, which is
currently either plaintext or using pre-shared keys, simply terminating on the controller.

We have assembled the pieces of the puzzle we know about:

  * Aruba controllers configured for AAA via Radius,
  * Bradford Campus Manager is proxying the Radius requests (was doing
    mac-authentication before),
  * Radiator has been setup for "AuthBy NTLM" against our Active Directory domain
    controllers.

With these bits done, we can successfully authenticate at the Radiator command line
(ntlm_auth works).

We can successfully authenticate from the Bradford Radius test page.

We can successfully authenticate from the Aruba AAA test page.

However, we cannot seem to get any clients to successfully authenticate to wireless.
Win7 seems to get the farthest (out-of-the-box, no supplicants or certificates),
prompting once for credentials when it tries PEAP, and failing that (perhaps due to the
unknown certificate?), it prompts again in a pop-up window for "EAP-TTLS credentials"
asking for domain\userID and password.  We then see Radiator trying the
request/challenge several times before eventually rejecting, and there is no connection.

Is there another whole piece of the puzzle we are missing to carry over to the clients?
I know at times in the past that various supplicants, shims, or some "connectivity
add-ons" (e.g., XpressConnect) were required to complete the picture, but I thought most
of this could be done "out of the box" by now?

It seems that we are so close but missing this final leap out to the client.  I had
expected issues with bizarre devices (iThings, game consoles, etc), but not a wholesale
failure of everything...

Any suggestions, pointers, recipes, how-tos, "WPA2 for Dummies", magical incantations,
war stories, drinking games, wishes, holy grails, etc., would be most welcome :)

Thanks in advance,

Jeff