Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Remote Desktop Policies

From: Nick Kartsioukas <lists.educause.security () CHANGE NIGHTWIND NET>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 11:12:03 -0800

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 19:43 +0000, "Webb, Justin"
<justin.webb () MARQUETTE EDU> wrote:
                We are in the process of reviewing our policies regarding
                Remote Desktop and I am curious how other institutions
                are handling this. Do you allow it at all, or with
                qualifications (must be VPNed in), and do you use a
                software suite (Citrix, e.g.), or RDP (or VNC,  the
                like)? Also, do you require some sort of sign-off before
                access is given, from a supervisor, or the employee
                themselves? Lastly, do you use RDP for remote support and
                allow local admin access to the machine? Thanks in
                advance.

We provide Citrix access from offsite to all faculty and staff, they are
presented with a limited desktop environment that includes access to
their network drives.  For network admins, we have RDP and SSH all via a
VPN.
--
Nick Kartsioukas
Cuesta College Computer Services