Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Remote Desktop Policies

From: "King, Ronald A." <raking () NSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:05:15 -0500

RDP access available through a VPN tunnel.  VPN access granted upon request and signed off by their supervisor.  VPN is
limited to RDP access only for the faculty and most staff.  The user sets up RDP for their account on their workstation
when logged in while physically at the computer.

Our help desk folks can remote into each of the workstations on our domain using Microsoft's Configuration Manager's
Remote Tools.  Standard users can gain local administrative privileges, but, this has to be requested from someone in
management, such as a Dean, Director or VP, is restricted to the specific computers requested, and, include acceptable
justification.  Justification usually includes taking the responsibility for supporting the computers access is granted
on.

Ronald King
Security Engineer
Norfolk State University
Marie V. McDemmond Center for Applied Research
Suite 401
700 Park Ave.
Norfolk, Virginia  23504
Phone:  757-823-3918
Fax: 757-823-2128
Email: raking () nsu edu<mailto:raking () nsu edu>
http://security.nsu.edu