Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop encryption experiences

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:00:31 -0500

Hi Randy,

That would be a Yes for NY Law - I break encryption down into two types

Static encryption - that would be FDE which is a compliance measure, not a security measure ... I get to say this at every meeting about securing sensitive data and it's the seems to be the hardest thing for people to understand. A machine with FDE is just as vulnerable to having its data compromised as a machine without as long as the machine is up and running.

Dynamic encryption - that would be encryption of either individual data elements (i.e. the SSN field in a database) or encryption of files containing sensitive data - the exposure here is that when the files are being used, the data is vulnerable, but you have reduced the exposure window (mitigated the risk in audit speak).

We are using both - we use a FDE (GuardianEdge, now Symantec endpoint data protection) product to encrypt the disk to protect us from compliance problems and walking machines and external datastores. We use truecrypt and other dynamic encryption tools to secure the data when it's not being used to try and provide some security.

The best tool we have is CUSpider - find the data and delete it unless the manager swears on a stack of bibles that
they really need it to do their jobs.

My 2 cents.

Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel
Public PGP key
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x90BD740BCC7326C3