Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop encryption experiences

From: "A. Harry Williams" <Harry () MARIST EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:18:10 -0500

On 11/15/2010 11:32 AM, Alan Bowen wrote:
At TCNJ, we've been in the alpha/pilot phase of a laptop full disk encryption project for a very long time. We are grappling with the complexities and resource requirements for encrypting our entire laptop inventory. I'd like to know what types of parameters schools use for a "litmus test" to determine if a given laptop needs to be encrypted. Also, data on the number of laptops that have been encrypted over a time period, e.g. month or semester, would be very useful. Any extenuating circumstances or qualifiers outside of these questions would be much appreciated as well. Thanks.

-Alan
--
Alan Bowen
Manager of IT Security

Our litmus test is "Is it a laptop?". We include netbooks in the mix. We made the case to senior management (it wasn't hard) that the cost of one loss of data clean up exceeded the cost of FDE for all laptops, not to mention cost to reputation. We've even started doing FDE on some desktop computers that we consider potentially containing high value data, such as HR, payroll and health services. We started several years ago, and did it as part of normal replacement. We're at a point now where basically all laptops have FDE.

/ahw