Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: LDAPS

From: "Schoenefeld, Keith" <schoenk () ILLINOIS EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 20:28:46 +0000

I wouldn't set up an internal CA either.  Unless one is in a pure Windows
shop, and a single forest at that, the points about machines inherently
trusting the certificate aren't valid.  We run ldaps on our AD
infrastructure with a third party certificate, though we don't use a
wildcard certificate.  We use the altSubjName field to create certificates
for each domain controller, allowing it to respond with both its FQDN and
the the more general domain.  In addition, we have multiple non-windows
specific apps connecting to our ldaps servers (ePolicy Orchestrator is one
that I manage) without a hitch.

I'm all for simplifying service offerings, but I don't understand why one
would be averse to offering ldaps as a companion service to ldap.

-- KS