Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 802.1X for wired ports

From: Mike Wiseman <mike.wiseman () UTORONTO CA>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 08:57:37 -0400

When I worked on a wireless 802.1X PEAPv0 and TTLS deployment, I thought about the same thing - why can't the radius
endpoint be verified similar to TLS websites eg. via certificate path validation. It's just not possible without the
user making the decision or having his device configured in some secure way (which BTW applies to websites also).
Because an intruder can buy a cert for his radius server so someone has to pick between radius.myschool.edu and
gotcha-radius.myschool.edu.

Mike

Mike Wiseman
Information Security Group