Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 802.1X for wired ports

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 08:30:12 +1200

On 16/06/2010, at 3:57 AM, David Gillett wrote:

  I believe 802.1X is a good solution for "inside" ports, but for "public access" ports a captive portal may be a
better option -- redirects browser requests to a login -page and blocks other traffic until login succeeds).  We
initially used BlueSocket for our wireless authentication, and it could easily be deployed this way.....

This is what we do with our wireless networks the basic unencrypted access is via captive portal and the encrypted SSID
that lands inside our network is 802.1x.   We are looking at using 802.1x for wired access for student laptops in
library and labs.  The main headache we have had with 802.1x is that the CISCO PEAP to our radius involves clients
having to either preconfigure the radius servers as trusted or click through a dialog box saying the service is
untrusted the first time you authenticate.

If anyone knows of a way around this I would be delighted to know.

This issue is that PEAP hands off the authentication of the client to the radius  direct.  The client has no way of
knowing if the radius server is has been pointed to is trustworthy so most ask the user who does not know either.

Russell

David Gillett