Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Google ps over Androidj ib

From: randy marchany <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 10:40:07 -0400

The concern raised by this shouldn't stem from the fact that Google removed these apps without notice, but rather
that your >users may have installed them in the first place and never known the implications (meaning they could be
running rootkits without >your knowledge).  If Google uses this power to remove applications that have known rootkit
behavior, I don't think they'll get much >grief from me.  Like most people, I would prefer this power not exist, but
I wouldn't consider this particular example an abuse.

The concern is that the phone provider has access to ANY file on the
smart phone. Has this always been the case? Yep. It's just this
article brings this ugly truth to the forefront. This has serious
implications in the way we develop mobile/smart phone
policies/procedures.

If your institution's "sensitive" email/data will be stored on a smart
phone (let's face it's a likely scenario) in the form of email
attachments, files with passwords (the electronic equivalent of the
sticky note), etc. then Google/Apple/Generic has potential access to
that data. Yes, there might be license agreements about the Google's
procedure for removing data from a smart phone but that process is not
clear.

I might have a file called "rootkits" on my smart phone device because
my job is computer security. I don't want any phone provider to decide
for me what should or shouldn't be on my phone. The "security because
I know better"  model that AV and other "preventive" security model is
a reactive strategy and still results in compromises. Removing a
suspicious app from their store (Apple store, Google store, etc.) is
one thing and I'm in favor of that to some degree. Removing a
"suspicious" app from my phone w/o my knowledge/permission/control is
a completely different thing.

And FWIW, Apple has much more draconian control over their apps, so if control over your device is something you
value, then the Android is still a much better choice than an iPhone.  I would say the iPhone is a better choice for
people who specifically want others to control their experience and environment (including which apps you're allowed
to run on your phone).

This isn't a "android vs. iphone" conflict. It's a phone
manufacturer/service provider vs. end-user/customer thing. This is
similar to the "who owns the computer data on your car" conflict where
car manufacturers say they own it and the car owner says it's mine.
Who owns the data on a smart phone? Who has access to that data? Is
end user privacy being "facebooked" by the phone manufacturers?

We need to consider these new threats to our institutional data.

-Randy Marchany
ISO, VA Tech