Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Google power over Android

From: "Jones, Dan" <Dan.Jones () UMASSMED EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 17:17:21 -0400

To me this makes the Android/Google platform a non starter for (even tangential) use with any sort of validated
environment.

I suppose any OS patches could just be pushed without notice as well, and wonder what recourse one would have if data
was lost or the device became a doorstop as a result. Any change in applications or OS should require prior acceptance
by the user (as a sort of change management).

Given Google's approach to protecting privacy, and this ability to install or remove applications without notice, I've
removed the HTC Incredible from my short list of phones I would like to have.

Dan Jones
UMass Medical School