Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Directory Trolling

From: "Laverty, Patrick" <patrick_laverty () BROWN EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:50:01 -0400

We don't make email addresses available to members of the public.  You get
more data if you're using the directory from within our campus, which then
includes the email address.

Patrick Laverty
Brown University
http://directory.brown.edu

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Daniel Bennett <dbennett () pct edu> wrote:

I am interested to know if any university has seen student abuse of their
online public directory?  I have seen some instances where students will use
that directory to contact other students from a class and send a cancelation
notice to the students in a class when in fact the class was not canceled.

Thanks,
Daniel Bennett
IT Security Analyst
Pennsylvania College of Technology
P:570.329.4989
E:dbennett () pct edu <E%3Adbennett () pct edu>