Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RDP access to Servers from computing staff workstations.

From: Eme Ejike <eejike () ODU EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:23:06 -0400

Thanks Gary,
I appreciate the insight. As you know system Admins are rarely concerned
with how they get to their servers as long as they get to it. However,
they forget that in general IT folks.... dare i say it....have a
complex. A common everything is got to be on my workstation for me to be
an admin G.O.D scenario easily leads to their workstations being the
least secure. With this in mind an added layer of separation seems to be
something to seriously consider.

Bristol, Gary L. wrote:
Bastion Host setup with SSH allowed then tunnel the RDP through the Bastion Host to the staff's workstations.

Then also for IT Staff MS server access is via a Management OOBM VPN.