Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: attempts sending fake phishing messages to students and/or employees

From: "Lorenz, Eva" <evalorenz () UNC EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 08:05:01 -0400

We use security awareness to defend against phishing.
When I suggested the method of sending phishing to affiliates, the concern about faculty reaction was mentioned as well.
For security awareness, we use a combination of online training for faculty and staff, slides for student-based
workshops and will roll out some videos on phishing to students.

I also found that spending some time analyzing the phishing process to understand how the process works can be helpful
to gear the security awareness towards the weaknesses exploited in the current scams.

Ben, could you provide the link to the facebook page that you are using?

Eva Lorenz Ph.D., J.D., ITv3F
ITS Security
2800 ITS Manning
211 Manning Dr