Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: attempts sending fake phishing messages to students and/or employees

From: Dave Kovarik <david-kovarik () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 22:26:38 -0500

My two cents: A "fake" phishing trip could have some benefit, but I'd
recommend against
launching one within higher education confines (it could be a career
limiting or eliminating
move).  Those that are "hooked" by it won't take kindly to having taken
the bait - and some
of these will be outspoken faculty members.  I think your efforts would
be better spent on
continuing education of your user community and resolving the incidents
that occur as
a result of actual phishing incidents.
Dave Kovarik
Northwestern University