Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability scanners - what do you use? What seems to be successful for your environment?

From: Steve Brukbacher <sab2 () UWM EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:33:01 -0500

We're running Nexpose currently.  It's okay, but not very accurate for
Unix systems when evaluating patch levels.  Tons of false positives
because often times the way admins patch services doesnt' change the
version level that the vunl. scanner uses to determine path level.
There are things you can do about that, including loading root creds
into the vuln. scanner, which I'm not too keen on in general.  It does
fine for open ports/etc and the reporting is pretty good compared to Nessus.

So if you just want to see what the "bad guys" are seeing, I'd just use
Nessus.  If you want to do regular auditing, especially for Windows
systems, or for performing risk assessments, this might not be a bad
choice.

--
Steve Brukbacher, CISSP
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee