Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability scanners - what do you use? What seems to be successful for your environment?

From: Isac Balder <piis8 () YAHOO COM>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 10:20:36 -0700

Catherine,
While the scanner itself is important.  Don't forget things like who will be running it?  How will it be implemented?
What built-in reporting does it have?

There is also the type of scanner.  Classic Vulnerability vs Web App vs exploitation.
For your typical vulnerability scan on operating systems I use Nessus.  The scan engine and user client (now one
package in 4.2) are free.  If you want to test drive it you can use the Home feed.  For real use the Professional feed
is $1200 a year.  The Professional feed also unlocks several other scanning features.If you are you are looking at one
to two scan engines and very few admins this is a very economical approach.  Built-in reporting is a weakness, but with
some scripting can be very powerful.If you are looking at many scan engines you may also consider the Security Center
package for management.  Not sure what list price for that is.
Also looking to integrate more scanning with Metasploit.  However this is full exploitation and must be used with the
utmost care.
Not doing web app scanning yet.  To really be effective with web app scanning you really need to be embedded in the
application development lifecycle.

I.B.

"top posting cause yahoo makes me..."