Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Are users right in rejecting security advice?

From: Brad Judy <win-hied () BRADJUDY COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:23:13 -0400

I would further argue that any checklist or risk assessment should forego
asking specifics about the firewall and ask something to the effect of: "Is
network ingress limited to only required business needs, and are these needs
evaluated for risk prior to implementation?"

Back to the original question... Yes, individuals are sometimes "right" when
they ignore security advice because they have more current and focused
business information to make a risk decision.  However, I expect most
instances of ignoring security advice is "wrong" because individuals
typically lack a sufficient understanding of information security risks to
make an educated risk decision.  Not a lot of people have sufficient
knowledge of both sides of the equation to make "right" decisions.  We try
to improve the odds of a "right" decision by raising security awareness, but
that only goes so far; and we have to recognize that sometimes the "right"
decision isn't the one that favors information security.

Brad Judy

Emory University