Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server naming conventions

From: "Woodruff, Daniel" <dwoodru2 () UR ROCHESTER EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:45:38 -0500

This has been a fantastic thread, thanks for all the input and creative
naming scheme ideas.

With new servers hosted by University IT here, the Windows Systems group
has settled on the 'its-service-p##' type style, where 'p' stands for
production, 't' would be test, etc. It seems some other institutions do
similar and even add more information such as location, and you brought
up a good point about a nmap scan can easily enumerate the services on a
box, so I feel more comfortable with that now. And segmenting DNS into
different zones is a great idea too.

Thanks,

Dan Woodruff

University IT Security and Policy

University of Rochester

Woodruff, Daniel wrote:
What kinds of naming conventions do everyone follow when building new
servers?

Currently, our Windows hosts are named following the pattern
'its-w2ks#'
or similar, where the # is the next in the sequence, and the names are
published in DNS. What are the potential drawbacks or using a scheme
like this? Do you think it is any better or worse from a security
perspective than using something like 'its-oracle-1' which has the
service right in the name? We're concerned about disclosing the
purpose
of the machine via its name, and are trying to get an idea of what
other
schools do for their machines. Thanks in advance.

For some servers, which are for internal ITS use only, there is really
no naming convention in place. Mythological figures and horrible puns
tend to be the norm.

For user-facing servers, the DNS name generally reflects the purpose or
service of the server. For example, our domain controllers are named
"ad-canisius" and "ad-canisius2", our Exchange mail stores are "store01"
and "store02", etc. There's probably a slight risk of revealing
information by putting a service right in the name, but frankly, it's no
more information than a simple nmap fingerprinting scan would be likely
to provide.

--
Matt Gracie                        (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  [log in to unmask]