Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server naming conventions

From: Laurie Zirkle <lat () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:28:19 -0500

From the fingers of Cal Frye:
Woodruff, Daniel wrote:
What kinds of naming conventions do everyone follow when building new
servers?

I know laptops aren't servers, but we had great fun when we got our
first laptops.  They were for checkout purposes, so the very first two
were tramp and floosy.  Then came bimbo, harlot, you get the drift.  Our
HR department was *not* amused.  We had to change them all.

My network printers in another life were named after snakes
(rattlesnake, copperhead, diamondback, etc).  Our undergraduate lab
machines were named after noxious weeds.  Our appletalk servers were
named after the eight dwarves (Ok, so sleazy isn't really a dwarf ... ).
Our Xterminals were named after birds.

My current servers are named after insects (locust, katydid, mcflea,
mcfly, waterstrider, leafroller, etc).  I'm going to have to find
another category, though, as I'm running up to my limit.

--
Laurie