Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Stateful Perimeter Firewall

From: "Parker, Ron" <Ron.Parker () BRAZOSPORT EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:40:15 -0500

You'll find that there are differences of opinion on this ranging from
heavy-duty lockdown to no perimeter firewall at all with good arguments
across the spectrum. We went from router ACLs to Checkpoint about nine
years ago and I've been very pleased with the control it has given us.
We do employ an outbound policy as well. You'll find that a large amount
of traffic is traversing your network that has no business doing so. I
do guest lectures for some of our classes here and I can ALWAYS find a
real-time example of port scans and other suspicious activities when I
do my demos. Granted that most of the action these days seems to be
social engineering through e-mail phishing attacks but I would not run a
network connected to the internet without a perimeter firewall.

--
Ron Parker, Director of Information Technology, Brazosport College