Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Stateful Perimeter Firewall

From: Bruce Curtis <bruce.curtis () NDSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:14:45 -0500

On Oct 13, 2009, at 8:10 AM, Dean Halter wrote:

We are considering setting up our firewalls in a stateful, default deny manner. Our folks would be able to communicate out normally, but folks on the outside would only be able to access resources for which there were explicit exceptions. Anyone else doing this that might give us pointers on what we need to do in advance and what to watch for? Is it problematic for certain types of software – p2p, grid, etc.? Is this, as some of our folks say, too corporate?

Firewalls are notorious for breaking H.323 video and probably SIP video also.

I think any change in policy would be a good time to review if your hardware can implement your policy for things like IPv6 and multicast etc.

This article points out that spending dollars on stateful firewalls might not be the best investment of your security dollars. While the vendor sponsoring the article would say that their firewall is the way to go I personally think the dollars would be better spent installing Host Based Intrusion Prevention Systems, many of which can prevent buffer overflows and therefore many zero day attacks.

  http://newsroom.mcafee.com/article_print.cfm?article_id=3538

It only takes one machine behind your perimeter firewall to be compromised and then be able to scan all of the computers "behind" your perimeter firewall. It only takes one person to make one wrong click to have a computer compromised and the firewall does not nothing to prevent that compromise while a Host Based Intrusion Prevention System might be able to prevent that compromise. In our environment a large percentage of the computers on our network, perhaps even a majority, leave campus every night and go somewhere beyond the "protection" of a perimeter firewall, and then they come back the next day.

  The Jericho forum has some good information.

http://www.opengroup.org/jericho/

http://www.opengroup.org/jericho/RSA_BusCase_April2008.ppt

http://www.opengroup.org/jericho/presentations.htm

http://www.opengroup.org/jericho/Respondingtodp_implementation_SCWC_0812.pdf

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.curtis () ndsu edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University