Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: risk asessment in edu

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:24:20 -0400

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:19:27 EDT, Kevin Wilcox said:

I read the first paragraph, then checked the email address, and
decided it was better to ignore. Someone in the business that is
tasked with IS responsibilities will almost certainly know, beyond
student data, what they are being tasked with protecting.

One would hope so.

On the other hand, I've seen plenty of cases at smaller sites (and a few larger
ones too), where somebody suddenly aquired IS responsibilities but didn't have
a good handle on what ball of wax they just got tossed.  This often happens
when The Previous Guy departs suddenly. Been there, done that - I found out the
hard way that I didn't know Legato Networker as well as I thought when I
suddenly became the primary for it when the previous person died in a
gyrocopter crash.

The original poster may just be trying to avoid leaving a paper trail of
beiing in over their head.  I know it would be tempting in that situation...