Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Smartphone Policies.

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:09:26 -0400

Long ago, perhaps back in the Pleistocene, a phone could be trusted to
make and receive phone calls and otherwise leave well enough alone.

Now, of course, with iPhones and Blackberries everywhere, people want to
read their mail, check their calendars, and otherwise manipulate College
data using their handheld devices.

Like many places, I'm sure, we've been lax in addressing this, so we've
got departments going off on their own, buying random products, and then
asking ITS to make them work.

Does anyone have some sage advice -- or even better, written policies --
for containing this? Have you standardized on a particular phone OS,
manufacturer, model, etc.?

From almost any perspective -- security, warranty, support, inventory
control -- we need to get a handle on this.

--Matt

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu