Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Smartphone Policies.

From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 12:53:17 -0500

I believe that the Harvard Medical Center supports the iPhone very well (per  http://geekdoctor.blogspot.com/.  The
full exchange client on the iPhone can be an advantage.  Since the iPhone supports active sync, on Exchange 2007 the
active sync “reset your phone” switch becomes an OWA accessible feature.   Lock your phone and if you lose it, go
remotely wipe it yourself.

That’s a pretty sexy sales pitch to a clinician and it covers the lost device component.  Smartphones are in our sights
as something we have to manage (and the AT&T isn’t our winning bidder) but it does seem to give a reasonable way to
address some of the risks of the technology.  Change from saying no to saying “here’s the way to make it work and
here’s the secret button to remember when you leave it in a cab”.    It also helps address the “work versus personal”
phone thing because people do find ways to make their job doable or more productive.

Same line of thinking for BlackBerry but use the BES rather than the desktop connector so some of the risks can be
managed.