Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Streaming Video and Internet Capacity

From: Dan Oachs <doachs () GAC EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:52:51 -0600

We are about double your size and have a 100Mb internet connection ( and
a 1gig i2  connection ).  We are now at the point where we are going to
add another 50Mb.

To share that bandwidth fairly with all the users ( students, admins,
faculty, etc. ) we have a linux box running our own scripts that adjusts
each users priority based on how much they have used it in the past 24
hours.  So users that don't download lots of video, can browse the web
faster than the user who downloads movies 24x7.  We have more details
here: https://gustavus.edu/gts/Bandwidth_fairness

So far it has been working very well for us, however no amount of
"fairness" can make up for not having enough bandwidth to meet the "need".

   Thanks,
      Dan Oachs

Wood, Anne (wood) wrote:

Good Morning,

We are struggling with Internet bandwidth due mostly to the large
increase in online videos and programming (YouTube, ESPN, Netflix,
etc).  We are a small liberal arts school with approximately 1400
students who live mostly on campus.  We do shape the Internet pipe
using a Packetshaper, but only at an application level (not per
person, connection, or site).  We have been working with a 45 Mbps
link since last March and are trying to figure out what other schools
have done to deal with the increase in demand from residential
students and if those changes are working.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Anne Wood

Director of Campus Network and Security

Juniata College