Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Streaming Video and Internet Capacity

From: "Scholz, Greg" <gscholz () KEENE EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:49:14 -0500

Similar here except we use Packetshaper's dynamic partitioning.

We have 90Mb and 2800 on campus students.

It seemed to help us out a lot. We let each student burst up to 3Mb.
They often don't get that much since the 90Mb cap. But we don't hear
much for complaints.

I think the worst problem we had was the students that did not
understand that all the P2P traffic their computer was serving to the
Internet affected their capacity more so then their own web surfing.

We blocked P2P last year...completely. We don't hear much for bandwidth
complaints anymore.

BTW - unless Allot figured out something that Packeteer did not, much of
the encrypted P2P (ArezWares being a big one) falls into the
unclassified traffic and therefore is not regulated by the P2P controls.

In any case, I highly advocate for dynamic partitions per user whether
you can block P2P or not.

_________________________

Thank you,

Gregory R. Scholz

Director of Telecommunications

Information Technology Group

Keene State College

(603)358-2070

--If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do
it over?

--Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

                - John Wooden