Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Network Access Control Survey

From: Timothy Payne <tpayne1 () MACALESTER EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:48:51 -0600

Good Morning!

First, let me apologize if you get more than one copy of this request.  I
have posted it to a couple of mailing lists to try and reach the best cross
section of respondents.

We are in the process of reviewing our policies regarding network access as
part of a larger Network Access Control design project, and I am hoping you
will be willing to help us gather some data:

1.  In addition to faculty, students and staff, who of the following do you
authorize to access your network?

   * Invited Guests on campus who are there for a specific purpose
(presentations, parents, etc).

   * Public Guests within campus buildings (library users, etc).

   * Public Guests outside of campus that connect to your wireless network
(neighbors).

   * Anyone else?  Please specify.

2. What process are you using to verify the identity of users within each of
those groups that connect to your network?

3. What product(s) are you using to verify a user's identity?

4. Do you have written policies that define who can connect to your network
and under what restrictions?  If yes, would you be willing to share them?

Thank you for your assistance.  If anyone wants a copy of the results,
please let me know and I will send you a copy directly or post it back to
the list.

--
Tim Payne, CISSP, CCNA
Network Administrator