Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Faculty Grant Machines

From: Faith Mcgrath <faith.mcgrath () YALE EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 22:40:57 -0400

Mike: My experience is that the grant or contract explicitly states
whether you must comply with FISMA and depending on the *.gov agency
they should then also be willing to define for you what FISMA
certification and accreditation framework they are requesting  (e.g.,
NIST http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/SMA/fisma/overview.html). At our
medical school we are currently see this requirement with some NIH
contracts, but not grants (yet). A NIH guidance document was issued in
April that stated currently "FISMA applies to grantees only when they
collect, store, process, transmit or use information on behalf of HHS
or any of its component organizations" (http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-08-066.html
).

If you have grants involving VA.gov protected information you may also
have to comply with FISMA and as a part of those requirements your
hard/software cryptographic modules must be NIST FIPS 140-2 validated
(http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/140-1/140val-all.htm
).

We are also beginning to receive questions from clinical researchers
related to FDA 21 CFR Part 11(guidelines on electronic records and
electronic signatures - http://www.fda.gov/cder/guidance/7359fnl.pdf).
I am not as familiar with those requirements (especially related to
electronic signatures), but I believe for the most part the controls
required are in alignment with NIST Recommended Security Controls (SP
800-53). -fm