Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Faculty Grant Machines

From: "Harris, Michael C." <HarrisMC () HEALTH MISSOURI EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:49:30 -0500

Please forgive my lack of knowledge in this area, grants are not
something I regularly deal with.

If it is a Federal grant, do FISMA or FIPS standards apply and need to
be followed? Even if not explicitly called out in the grant process?

From the few I have touched encryption and data transfer standards are
called out FIPS 140-1 or 140-2 and sometimes (rarely) electronic
signature standards come up, but what other standards are mandated,
required vs suggested, or just good practice.

Does the grant explicitly need to call out the best practice framework
required? Or is there some implication that you must follow FISMA, FIPS,
NIST...

Mike