Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data capture protection for security staff

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:12:22 -0700

Hi Beth,

 I think there are two parts to addressing this. The first is in a
notice to your end-users, ensuring they are aware of the practice.  As
others have stated, we also manage our privacy statement through our
Acceptable Use policy, for example:

"4. Privacy & Monitoring
All College-owned property and the work, correspondence, data and other
material therein, whether stored electronically, on paper, or in any
other form, are subject to review for legitimate business reasons.
Portions of the IT infrastructure include automatic and manual
monitoring and recording systems that are used for reasons that include,
but are not limited to, security, performance, backup, and
troubleshooting. The College reserves the right at any time to monitor
and access any data, including the contents of any College computer or
College communications, for any legitimate business reason."
http://www.pima.edu/admin/it/documents/Acceptable-Use.pdf

 The second issue is regarding how your staff perform these activities.
These need to run the gamut from a high level institutional policy to
procedures that detail how your staff handles these issues. For example,
we have a high-level policy on "IT related Investigations", and then
procedures documentation on CALEA, the Federal Wiretapping Act, and on
more generic incident response. I can send you any or all of those if
you'd like. In court, it is important to have documented and approved
policy and procedures, otherwise they can create all kinds of arguments.

 Finally, IANAL, but I would recommend against an approach that rests
too heavily on packet data. There are a lot of reasons why this is
problematic for cultural reasons, legislative reasons, trial reasons,
etc. Generally, when an employee is doing something illegal, there is
going to be more than just wire data. Perhaps files on the local
computer, perhaps behaviors that could be observable, etc. In other
words, packet data should be just the first piece of evidence: enough to
warrant an investigation perhaps.

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College