Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop

From: Harold Winshel <winshel () CAMDEN RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:04:10 -0400

With all due respect, I don't know if there's data to back up that
viewpoint.  Regardless, I wouldn't think I'd want to develop an
encryption model based on that assumption.

At 02:34 PM 6/11/2008, Valdis Kletnieks wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:24:15 PDT, Sarah Stevens said:
> If lo-jack is BIOS-based, and one has administrative access to the laptop,
> what stops the person from disabling the software?

Nothing, other than the fact that usually, a laptop is stolen by somebody
who is just looking for quick cash to finance a drug or alcohol habit. As
a result, you only have to defend against somebody who has most of their
neurons chemically inhibited.

Trying to defend a laptop against a targeted attack by somebody who
has all their neurons and is stealing *that* laptop because they know it
has sensitive info on it is a lot more difficult...

Harold Winshel
Computing and Instructional Technologies
Faculty of Arts & Sciences
Rutgers University, Camden Campus
311 N. 5th Street, Room B10 Armitage Hall
Camden NJ 08102
(856) 225-6669 (O)