Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outbound SMTP

From: Michael Van Norman <mvn () UCLA EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:54:05 -0700

Are you suggesting that a filter is always binary?  On for the entire
network or off?  If so, then perhaps that's extreme, but, as we all
know, exceptions can be made.  Fortunately these types of exceptions
are not that difficult to deal with.

No, but much of the list traffic was "We block everything except our
approved mail servers."  Sounded binary to me.

This brings me to one of my concerns.  Why do we have to engineer our
entire networks in one fashion?  How about a research network, where
port 25 was open, and an administrative network where it's not?  If
every time I say lets do X, you respond with but so and so needs X,
we make no progress.  How about we do X, where practical, and still
allow so and so the use of an open network?  If network security
is going to make significant strides we need to quit catering
to the least common denominator.

I agree wholeheartedly that we shouldn't cater to the least common
denominator.  However, today the leanings seem to be break the network
first, and then open things up when there is a justification.  This puts
the burden on legitimate users of the network to justify their use and
get permission because a few users/devices cause trouble.  Just my
opinion, but people tend to innovate less when you put up barriers to
innovation.  Making somebody get permission before trying something new
is a barrier (no matter how low you try to make it).

/Mike