Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Risks of using "free" public blogs and/or wikis for class activities

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:34:46 -0600

In particular, what's your exposure if somebody
posts something to the blog that's *within* the hosting
companies policies (so they refuse to do a takedown), but is
a violation of your policies?

You take appropriate university level disciplinary action against the
student.  The same thing we'd do if a student committed an act that
isn't illegal (so the police don't stop it), but violates our policies.
Nathaniel's last message covers campuses taking that type of action.
There was no reason for MySpace/Facebook to take down the content
(didn't violate their rules), but the university decided to take their
own action against the student.

Brad Judy

ITS - UCB