Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Risks of using "free" public blogs and/or wikis for class activities

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 22:19:57 -0400

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:13:37 EDT, Clifford Collins said:
IT's response was that some thought, planning and a server were necessary
to do it right and therefore more time would be needed to provide a
supportable solution. Now the faculty member is saying she will just use
one of the many "free" ones on the Internet.

I'm interested in people's view of any risks or other down-sides to such
an approach. Pointers to papers, analysis and whatnot would be appreciated
as well. Your thoughts?

Others have mentioned the issues of data exposure - I'll raise a much simpler
one.  If she uses the free one, and there's an outage, what does she do?

Remember there's a lot of failure modes - kamikazi squirrels taking out the
power feed to the free provider (yes, it does happen), backhoes cutting your
campus off from the Internet, and a whole raft of other failure modes that
nobody will be in a big hurry to fix, simply because she's not a paying
customer.

The *nicest* thing about using a locally-supported one is that there is
(presumably) a support structure that *will* at least answer the phone and
*try* to fix the problem if it breaks.  That's worth a lot more than people
realize.