Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Risks of using "free" public blogs and/or wikis for class activities

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 20:24:34 -0600

I'd consult with your legal counsel on their take on issues like legal
discovery before making decisions based on how you think it might play
out.  I don't think it would play out as described here.

When one of our students does something stupid off campus like theft I
don't recall anyone coming after the university because they were
"acting as a student of our school".  (If there is a pattern of
problems, they may ask the university to help find a solution.)  Seems
like you might actually be worse off if you gave them a university blog
account and then they did something bad with it.  You certainly can't
make a policy that says students can't use blog services (or
MySpace/Facebook) on their own time, and you'd have a tough time saying
they couldn't do it from on-campus either.  Same goes for faculty/staff
on their own time - any policy like that intrudes into private life.
I'd be very surprised if any campuses passed a policy saying that
official courses cannot use any third party web services.

I'm not a lawyer, so ask your lawyers what would be best before making a
policy decision based on legal reasoning.

Brad Judy

Information Technology Services
University of Colorado at Boulder