Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How do you implement VLAN segmentation in your buildings?

From: Rob Whalen <rwhalen () STMARYS-CA EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 16:01:00 -0700

Greetings,
We have VLAN'ed our resnet to the jack (each jack gets five working
addresses)and are working on doing the same for the staff, which are now
subnetted by building.
Rob Whalen
Network Analyst

Br. Kenneth Arnold wrote:
For the most part we use a separate vlan for each building but there
are exceptions.  Some buildings have a separate vlan for different
floors if there is a high concentration of network devices.  Some
vlans apply to more than one building if there is a low concentration
of network devices in the buildings.  In one case a building has two
different vlans because the building serves two entirely different
functions.