Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How do you implement VLAN segmentation in your buildings?

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 09:26:49 -0700

  If you're using NAC anyway, why not also implement 802.1X?
So do 1 or 2, but the maintenance issue is part of your back-end
identity management rather than your network device configuration.
(Arguably, that's where it should have been all along.  When a
user changes status, modifying their network access should be
integrated with revoking system access no longer appropriate and/or
granting access appropriate to their new status.)

  FWIW:  Until we get more of our equipment upgraded to support
802.1X (bond measure passed but awaiting adjudication of legal
challenges) and get our IDM built (supposed to go live by August),
we're doing 1.  And the maintenance issue isn't nearly so bad as
you fear, since jacks in labs stay in labs and jacks in offices
stay in offices even if the occupant changes -- unless your
security levels are incredibly granular, it's pretty static,
more than 2 would be.

  Option 3 means that you punt all security to the end hosts.
That will probably work for most staff machines, but I'm leery
of making it my only line of defence when it comes to personal
and student machines, and legacy devices may need special handling.

  Option 4 is part and parcel, I think, with distributing
routing and DHCP as well, so (IMHO) troubleshooting just got
an order of magnitude more complicated.  Oh, and like 3, you've
removed the option for VLANs and ACLs to contribute to security,
and must rely entirely on other mechanisms....

David Gillett