Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How do you implement VLAN segmentation in your buildings?

From: Lee Weers <weersl () CENTRAL EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 13:02:53 -0500

On our resnet 2 summers ago I implement a vlan for every 12 ports in our
large residence halls.  This summer I hope to accomplish it for the rest
of resnet.  While do this I created 2 additional vlans.  1 for gaming
and the other for guests.  For the xboxes, they didn't like crossing the
router to play head to head.  So the gaming devices that get registered
in Campus manager are automatically assigned to that vlan, and have
internet access.  The unregistered gaming devices just play head to head
in the registration vlan.

The reasoning for the 12 port vlan's is to enable the content filtering
(virus throttling) on our Procurve 5300's.