Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How much does disk encryption add to boot time?

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 17:17:28 -0400

Alan Amesbury wrote:
FileVault under Mac OS X also has a negligible perception on performance.

The biggest impact will be on disk-intensive tasks, so you probably want
to avoid using disk encryption for tasks like video editing, unless you
really need that sort of protection.

Speaking from personal experience, I decided to move my Parallels
virtual machines out from the FileVault encrypted area and onto
unencrypted space.

Then again, I don't have any sensitive data in the virtual machine, all
that's kept on the host, in the encrypted user area.

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"It's a disgrace that in the 21st century in America, we still have so
many people who get sick and die, not because their illnesses aren't
treatable, but because they are too poor to see a doctor." -- Andy Stern.