Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How much does disk encryption add to boot time?

From: George Bailey <gbailey () IVYTECH EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 11:07:05 -0400

Roger,

I have recently looked at full disk encryption, on my Dell Precision 670 (beefy system), I notice no difference in the
actual boot time.

Based on our results, Full Disk Encryption products had significantly little impact on performance. Based on a Pentium
4/3.0Ghz system with a 7200 SATA hard disk, the largest performance hits occurred during large file transfers. However,
the average write-time increased by only 6.5% on a 1.99GB file. This seems to be a bit higher than past research on the
topic. According to Saarinen (2004), the average write-performance time using AES 128-bit encryption in CBC mode was
less than one percent in his experiments. However, the same tests yielded an increase of 12% on read-performance.
Taking both cases as extremes, the result to the average end-user is negligible.

Virtual system start-up

Virtual image shutdown time

File copy

I hope this helps.  Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

- --gb

George Bailey, CISSP
Information Security
Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana