Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How much does disk encryption add to boot time?

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 09:57:56 -0500

At 09:43 AM 5/2/2007, David Millar put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
Does anyone have experience with roughly how much additional time it
takes to boot a typical late-model office laptop (or desktop)?  We
aren't talking hours here I hope.

Assuming you're talking whole disk encryption here, I never
noticed any real difference to the boot time.  I'm sure it
must add something but if the overhead was to high it would
likely reduce the numbers using these products.

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.