Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Classroom station logout

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:49:30 -0400

David L. Wasley wrote:
I was thinking along these same lines.  What is it that the lecturer
might seldom forget and leave in the classroom?   The only answer I come
up with is him/her self.  Therefore...

I've heard of some vendor developing bluetooth ID cards.  How about
issuing one to every lecturer with a neck chain so they just wear it?
The lectern machine would log in when a card comes near enough and log
out when it loses communication.  Clearly there are details to be
considered but if it works it could be faculty-friendly and secure enough.

Just a thought.

    David

I remember seeing a product for OS X (I can't remember the name offhand)
that did something similar with a bluetooth phone; if you walked away
from the computer that was paired to the phone, the screen saver would
activate with a password.

The problem then, of course, becomes the initial pairing. But at least
you're not giving the faculty one more thing to remember.

Salling clicker? Was that the name? Has anyone used it?

--Matt

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-2403
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu