Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Products

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:57:05 -0800

Limited budget, I can afford a Firewall but not a Firewall
and a Web Proxy/Web Antivirus product

Currently we have nothing protecting HTTP/HTTPs from virus's

  I've been very impressed with what I've seen so far of the
Blue Coat products.  We haven't yet had them in for an eval,
so there are some open questions including price....

  I've been concerned for some time by the extent to which new
applications -- which may pose security and/or policy challenges
-- are tunnelling over ports likely to be open on a firewall.  I
suspect that the usefulness of even stateful packet filters may
be drawing to a close, and that proxies (or really *good* protocol
inspection engines) are more likely to still be effective in 3-5
years.

David Gillett
(got my CISSP paperwork sent in yesterday!)