Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Products

From: "Scholz, Greg" <gscholz () KEENE EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 09:56:15 -0500

I have not used a PIX for about 2 years now so not sure what has
changed.  I will say though that for the experience I do have with it
and others, this is one case where Cisco's pricing does tend to be
pretty competitive (if not outright better).  I also prefer PIXen
compared to other "smarter" OS based firewalls.  Although most vendors
are going to stripped down Linux kernels and technically all Cisco OSs
are probably some derivative of a stripped down *nix variant I find a
lot more comfort in devices where you can not find ANY traces of the
original base OS.

Bang for the buck, I would still be seriously considering PIX as a pure
and effective firewall.

FYI: our organization is currently using checkpoint.  We have too much
dollars and staff time/staff comfort invested to consider changing at
this point but may consider in the future.  The gripe I have with
checkpoint is that it seems overly complicated for what we need it to
do.  Also, by being "smarter" also leaves a lot of room for mistakes
(both by us and the vendor). And at the firewall is the last place I
want mistakes. (e.g. a new feature set to "monitor", not "enforce",
still enforced and broke a needed application leading some on campus to
have valid reason to "blame the firewall")

Thank you,
Gregory R. Scholz
Lead Network Engineer
Information Technology Group