Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: what is your advice to your users

From: "Drake, Craig" <c-drake () NEIU EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 08:27:48 -0600

We are currently waiting for the patch from Microsoft and hoping that a
combination of Symantec AV on the desktop, some filters on our perimeter
firewall, our IPS system, and spam/antivirus filters on our email
gateways, can hold most exploits at bay in the meantime.

I am very reluctant to roll out the 3rd party patch for fears of how it
will impact the installation of the official Microsoft patch when it
arrives. Not to mention the fact that for anything other than Microsoft
Critical Updates, we would still need to rely heavily on sneakernet for
the deployment.  To those of using installing the 3rd party patch, do
you have a plan for removing the patch before installing the official
Microsoft Update?

Craig W Drake
Networking and Distributed Services
Northeastern Illinois University