Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email for Life?

From: scott hollatz <shollatz () D UMN EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:31:21 -0600

Just curious about how each of the institutions are able to enforce their AUP
on alumni. Apart from removing their email access, how will you deal with
alumni abuse of email privs?

        Randy Marchany

First, let me state I am not a lawyer, but the following quoted
material is from the University's publically available AUP.

University of Minnesota AUP states authorized users includes alumni.
They must adhere to the AUP.

If they are not employees, then their email can (should) be regarded as
personal and, per AUP, "The University accepts no responsibility or
liability for any personal or unauthorized use of its resources by users."
This is just a protection clause for the University.  The user may not
be protected, however:

        "Depending on the nature and severity of the offense, policy violations
        may result in loss of access privileges, University disciplinary action,
        and/or criminal prosecution."

so the "and/or criminal prosecution" applies to alumni.

--
scott hollatz                                        net shollatz () d UMn eDu
information technology systems and services          tel +1 218 726 8851